Home » * News

10 years of “Marching Through Culpeper”

12 July 2010 14 Comments

(article from the July 12, 2010 issue of the Culpeper Star-Exponent)

Ten years ago, local historian and author Virginia Morton introduced her book “Marching Through Culpeper,” during the grand opening of the Museum of Culpeper History’s new Main Street location in July 2000.

Since then, Morton has sold more than 10,000 books and has led more than 4,000 people on her popular two-hour walking tour of historic downtown Culpeper.

She is marking her 10-year anniversary of her book’s release and museum celebration with a special walking tour on July 24 at 10 a.m.

The tour will begin at the Depot’s on Commerce Street.

The cost is $8 for adults 18 and older and all proceeds will benefit the museum.

During her 10-year literary journey, Morton has shared many high points.

“I’ve been blessed with hundreds of new friends across the country and I had the privilege of leading two History-America Mississippi Riverboat tours. But the greatest honor was having Dr. David Aiken, an
English professor at the College of Charleston assign ‘Marching Through Culpeper’ to his class as parallel reading with ‘Gone with the Wind.’”

Culpeper author Virginia Morton with Dr. David Aiken, literature professor at the College of Charleston, at Charleston harbor in 2008. Morton spoke to his class which was reading "Marching Through Culpeper" as parallel reading for "Gone with the Wind."

Since the book’s release 10 years ago, Morton has been busy working on bringing it to life on stage and to the big screen. She is working on producing two versions of the book on stage: a drama and musical.

Morton hopes to have her project complete by the American Civil War Sesqui-centennial in 2011.

“This could bring huge numbers of tourists to Culpeper and lead to a movie or miniseries,” Morton said. “The prayers and support of the community would be greatly appreciated.”

Want to go?
What: Virginia Morton walk-ing tour of downtown Culpeper
Where: Starting at The Depot on Commerce Street
When: July 24 at 10 a.m.

For more information call Virginia Morton at 825-9147.

14 Comments »

• Abigail Slocum said:

This is a fabulous accomplishment, Virginia! I didn’t realize it as been 10 years since your book came out. I see many more great things being birthed out of this original project. I celebrate your faithfulness and perseverance to stick with it until we all see the fruit that God wants to be manifested from your obedience.

Do not grow weary and do not faint for in due season you will reap a harvest. Now is your season to reap! Keep pressing in. We are cheering you on to the finish line in Jesus name!

Blessings for greater breakthroughs to the glory of God!

• Carrie C. Stone said:

Virginia, You are truly one of the greatest examples of perseverance I have ever seen. You are an amazing woman of God, gifted in so many ways and you will bring restoration to the South with all that God is doing through you. Your spirit is contagious and your actions compel others to be courageous!!! I cannot wait until I get to go on your tour of beautiful Culpeper, VA!!!
    Blessings to you, FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS,
    Carrie

• Virginia (author) said:

Abigial, thank you for your inspiring words. The Lord has been using your pen in a mighty way this week to release His love to a hurting world.

• Virginia (author) said:

Carrie, you are a constant inspiration to me and an anointed destiny coach. You will not let any of the 12 Women give up!

• Jerry Graham said:

What a great article, Virginia. A great tribute to a great book — and more importantly to a great author. You have truly done history a great service in what you have done and continue to so unselfishly do as you pour yourself out to all who have ears to hear. Congratulations!
    God bless,
    Jerry

• Virginia (author) said:

Thanks Jerry for the encouragement. You are an inspiration!

• Kate said:

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary, Virginia!

Our community book club was truly privileged to read and review “Marching Through Culpeper. Please know that your personal visits and speaking engagements not only honored the membership and community, but successfully cultivated many history fans here in the west who anxiously await the film and stage production.

Thank you for all that you’ve done and continue to do to lift our awareness and knowledge of the devasting Civil War and its heroes and heroines. And I join your enormous chorus of friends who encourage you to stay faithful to your life’s work.

Best Wishes and Much Love, Kate

• Virginia (author) said:

Thanks Kate and give my best to your book club!

• Mac Palmer said:

Dear Virginia,

Thank you Virginia for “Marching………………” and your friendship over the years.

Mac

• Virginia (author) said:

Dear Mac, what a beautiful message. It’s good to know you are still kicking and honoring your ancestors! Blessings!

• Phyllis said:

I cherish my book. Thanks for the journey. I wish the best for the musical or stage drama.

• Virginia (author) said:

Thank Phyllis for your uplifting message.

• Myrna Duran said:

Dear Virginia, what an occasion!! I am so proud to have been one of the early people to fall in love with “Marching Through Culpeper. as you know, my roots grow deep in Culpeper. My “uncle Bob” surely knew the Reverend Stringfellow, as he was so involved in his own church there in Culpeper. Since our first phone call and subsequent meetings, I have often thought of the work you have been doing and have come to recognize your journey as the passionate crusade of a lovely and talented servant of our Lord. Thank you Virginia for “Marching………………” and your friendship over the years. Mac

• Virginia (author) said:

Dear Mac, thank you for your kind remarks. We are working to bring the ReV. Stringfellow to life on stage this summer. You don’t want to miss this show!

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: